It is my first preparation of a marinade for pork ribs which turned out as good as I expected. Previously, I had prepared pork ribs but it lacked some ingredient and marination time was less which is why I was reluctant to post it until now. I realized that this recipe turned out just the way I wanted. The excess marination gives it a nice roasted flavor with delicious, sweet and aromatic spice blend.
When marinating I initially thought the tomato ketchup would make it too sweet but it actually wasn’t sweet as it had a combination of other flavors. I really wouldn’t need to buy ready-made marinated pork ribs from the supermarket anymore, which I used to before, and they turned out too salty for me. This recipe just requires a few spices and its ready for the following day. It’s a perfect recipe even for a barbecue party and all you have to do is marinate the pork ribs few hours in advance.
Preparation time: 5 minutes (excludes marination)
Cooking time: 25 minutes
Pork ribs – 1 kg (1 lb 4 oz)
Vegetable oil / Olive oil – 1 tbsp
Garlic clove – 1 big, cut into half (or you can also add 1/2 tsp paste to the marinade & skip adding garlic clove when frying)
Tomato ketchup – 2 tbsp or more if required depending on sweetness
Light soya sauce -2 tbsp
Chili powder – 1 tsp
Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
Pepper powder – 1/2 tsp
Paprika powder – 1 tsp
Nandos peri-peri garlic sauce / sweet chili sauce – 1 tbsp
Salt -1/4 tsp
1. Wash the pork ribs and cut them into individual ribs.
2. Combine all the ingredients under marinade in a large non-metallic bowl.
3. Place them in a sealed zip-lock bag overnight or for 24 hours. Make sure you use all the excess marinade when placing them in zip-lock bags.
4. Heat a pan with 1 tbsp of oil, add garlic clove and fry it in the oil for 1 minute. Toss in the ribs along with the marination. Fry each side tossing and turning every 1 minute. Fry for 5-7 mins.
5. In an oven set at 200 degrees Celsius (395 degree Fahrenheit). Put the ribs at the center on the oven rack. Set on Grill mode if you using an electric oven. Cook for 15 – 20 minutes turning the side once after 12 minutes.
6. Once its nicely roasted or browned, remove them from the oven and serve.