Crispy Chicken Fry, yes! It’s chicken again, yohoo! But this one adds more crunch. Why? The crunchiness is because I used oats as a coating which is healthy and adds more fiber to your diet.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time : 25 minutes
Skinless Chicken with bones – 500 g , cut into small pieces
Vegetable oil – as required (see under directions, point 4)
Heavy-bottomed pot or pan 18 cm ( 7 inch ) diameter
Marinade 1: The chicken is marinated overnight. Cover and let it sit in the fridge.
Ginger-garlic paste – 3/4 tbsp
Red Chili powder – 1 tbsp (I used Kashmiri chilli powder)
Vinegar – 1 1/2 tbsp
Salt – 1/8 tbsp
Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
Pepper powder – 1/2 tsp
Paprika powder – 1 tsp (optional)
Marinade 2: After overnight marination.
All-purpose Flour – 3/4 cup
Marinade 3: After marinating with all-purpose flour.
Egg White – 2
Oats -80 g
1. Prepare the chicken and add all the ingredients mentioned under Marinade 1. Mix well, cover and place it in the fridge overnight or 6 hrs in advance.
2. Remove the chicken from the fridge. Prepare a plate with all-purpose flour (Marinade 2). Coat each piece with the flour on both sides. Keep it aside for half an hour.
3. Next, (Marinade 3) take 2 bowls. One bowl containing 2 egg whites (lightly beat with a fork) and the other bowl containing oats. To the egg white add a pinch of salt.
4. Now, dip the chicken pieces with the egg white and then with the oat mix, coating evenly on both sides.
5. Once you have coated all the chicken pieces , heat a heavy-bottomed pot containing oil up-to 2 inches.
6. Drop the chicken into the oil one by one in batches. Make sure you do not overcrowd it ( I fried 4 – 5 pieces at a time ). Fry on medium for 5 minutes turning sides in between.
7. Reduce heat and remove the chicken from the oil and place it on kitchen towels.
Fried chicken is ready to serve.