Cassava cake is one of my favorite snack with a light, delicious, aromatic flavor. It is one of the traditional tea time snack that looked inviting to me at the local bakeries in Singapore. It might look simple but once you taste it the texture of the cake is supremely addictive. Tapioca cake in Malay is called as Kuih Bingka Ubi.
Tapioca is extracted from Cassava root. The flesh can be chalk-white or yellowish. Hence, the color.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cook : 1 hr 30 minutes
Round baking pan 25 cm
Grated tapioca – 1 kg, at room temperature (1.4 kg when I bought it before peeling.You can use a store bought grated tapioca or manually grate it if not available).
Eggs – 2
Granulated Sugar – 1 cup
Salt – 1/4 tsp
Undiluted coconut milk – 375 ml
Water – 1/4 cup
For Grating the tapioca
If you have grated tapioca that’s bought from the market skip these steps.
+ Peel the cassava root.
+ Grate the tapioca with a grater as shown below.
+ Once the grating is done, use a 15 inch long cotton towel. Place the grated tapioca at the center of the towel and get the ends of the towel together in your palm and squeeze the juices (or tapioca starch) from the grated tapioca until dry. (I did this part by part so it gets easier to squeeze excess liquid from them).
+ Place the liquid-starch aside. In about 15 mins – 30 mins you will notice a white powder settling at the bottom.
1. Preheat oven to 175 degree Celsius (350 degree F) for 10 mins, grease the pan with parchment paper.
2. Carefully pour in the liquid ( liquid-starch ) into the grated tapioca leaving behind the white starch at the bottom.
3. In a separate bowl combine eggs, sugar and salt. Mix until the sugar is partially dissolved. Pour this to the above mixture.
4. Add coconut milk and water. Mix well.
5. Gradually, pour the mixture into the baking tray. Tap the edges to settle any unfilled gaps.
6. Bake for 1 hour at 180 degree Celsius. Insert a skewer into the center and make sure it comes out clean. (I baked it for 1 hr 30 minutes to get a nice color at the top).
7. Remove it from the oven and let it cool completely.
+ Store in airtight container in the fridge.
+ Reheat and serve.